Tuesday, September 29, 2009

New Approaches to Self


Have you ever been shocked when you hear new information? Information that conflicts with your current belief system? I have.  Quite often, throughout my life, someone has presented me with a new way of doing things and I find myself rejecting their suggestion.

For many of us the tendency to immediately discard new information is a given, knowing that the status quo is the best way.  I have doubted the credibility of the information given me and I have even doubted the individual who is telling me about it.  My mind has quite often been closed. Has yours?

While in my twenties I was desperate for a cure for my ailing stomach among other complaints including fatigue.  I had been to several doctors with no results.  In fact, they told me, in the most tactful way possible, that there really was nothing wrong with me; it was all in my head.

I was lucky enough to be acquainted with a co-worker who had experienced something similar to me.  She told me about how she regained her perfect health.  Because I was desperate, my mind was open to any and all solutions around me.  As a result I discovered Traditional Chinese Herbal Medicine and Acupuncture. I embarked on a whole new world of preventative medicine, completely in conflict with any MD advice I had ever taken.  The results were absolutely astonishing!  And the beauty of it was, there were no negative side effects. Today. no matter what physical or mental issues arise, I turn to my Chinese herbalist. 

Keeping an open mind is the way to learn new things, expand our experience and provide ourselves the opportunity to gain knowledge and enrich our lives. In addition it can just be plain fun.

With today's economy creating a high level of unemployment, it is imperative that we keep our minds open; open to new ideas, open to new ways of doing things, open to suggestions from everything and everyone around us.  Closing down our minds and continuing down the same path that we have in the past may not be the solution.  It may cause us to remain in the same symptomatic state with undesired results. Let's not wait until we are desperate to open ourselves up to new ways of making a living.  In fact, let's take a look at doing things from the exact opposite angle.  Challenge yourself this week.  Put your profession up in front of the mirror and open your mind to what is reflected back to you.

No comments: