Monday, October 5, 2009

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?


So I haven't posted anything in several days.  What are you going to do about it?  I'm unemployed and I can do whatever I want.  I don't answer to you and I don't answer to any company.  I just do what I want. And guess what?  I wanted to do something other than post entries to this blog, so that's what I have done.

Have you ever fantasized about saying something like that to your employer?  We all have but the fact is, we say we need the paycheck.  But on a deeper level, we all want to contribute. 

So here I am again because for some reason I feel accountable to you and find that I do carry a certain amount of guilt if I don't present you with something to read on a daily basis.  Why?  I suppose I have a conscience and I feel we are in this together, you and I, and I want to contribute to the success of WE.

With that in mind, think of all the daily threats you received while employed at said corporation. 'If you don't do this, we will do that.  And if you don't do that by this time (yesterday), we will have to do this to you: impose something even more uncomfortable than attempting to make a deadline in an impossibly short time frame which, by the way, encompasses your evenings, your dinner hour, your bathroom time and let's not forget, the time with your family, up to the point where total exhaustion takes over your human body (we ARE human, in case you hadn't noticed oh corporate entities) and you collapse, face down upon your keyboard, awakening only because you are sneezing uncontrollably from the dust that became unsettled from the impact of you face free falling upon the desk.'

Now I don't know about you but I LIKE to produce something of value to share with the world, the people I care for and even my employer!  I have a little pride, I want to give, I want to contribute.  I think you do too.  So why then do large corporations operate through fear?  Do they feed off of our fear?  Do they honestly think that the fear will produce more than free-flowing conscious effort?  Come now!  I've always been more productive when kindly asked rather than threatened.  I think it is human nature. Maybe the heads of corporations and the heads of the heads aren't human so they can't empathize?  I am asking myself this question. 

Keeping all this in mind, would you take some time to consider what it is you really want to do with your life please?  You can do whatever you want.  No? What and who is stopping you?  Just do it. Don't wait for the right job to come along. Don't ask permission.  Just take action; action in any direction with your life dream in mind.  Just start.  If you want to paint, then paint.  If you want to open a cafe' then go to the small business administration and start the process and keep moving.  I want to write.  So here I am.  I am not holding on to what will come of it.  I am not worrying about how I will make money doing it.  I am going with the flow and know that if I continue to do what I love, the money will come.  And if I work another job that isn't my dream, in the meantime, so be it.  But I will not work a job that owns me.  I want to own my job.  After all it is mine.  Take responsibility for what you want in life and know that you can have it.  Whatever it is you dream of, take a step toward it as soon as you finish reading this paragraph and get ready for the wonderful ride ahead of you.  You really can do whatever you want!

No comments: