Saturday, December 12, 2009

DISCOVERY


Do you ever wonder how the great discoverers of our time discovered their great find?  What did they have in mind when they set out on their journey?  Were they even on a journey to begin with?

Though being unemployed has placed me in a position to be open to discovery, I really have no idea what it will be that I discover or what form it will be in. And am I dedicated to finding out something about myself or do I even play an important role in what I am about to learn?



This week I have learned something new.  If we don't have a job, so to speak, we will create one with what comes natural to us.  It's not as though, as I previously thought, we have to come up with some complex business plan and develop some ingenious new idea that no one has thought of in order to create a new career for ourselves.  If we just move through each day and allow it to carry us in directions that feel natural without giving it much thought, we suddenly become furiously busy! Now, for the paycheck!

My discovery (which I really already knew about myself but my day job was hiding it) is that I love the outdoors, I love to be of service to others, I love to cook for people and I love my dog. I love to write, I love to spend time with my few special friends and I love to analyze the crap out of every behavior of everyone I know.  I find it thoroughly irritating on some level, why I cannot just hang loose and let it all be without dissecting everything and everyone but hey, it's who I am.

I'm not quite certain how I will create a job of the above interests.  Right now, I don't really care.  What matters is that I have made a discovery and that discovery is me.  Yes, me.  Me, me, me....all about me!  After all, it is me that is unemployed, me that desires a paycheck and me that is writing this ridiculous blog. 

What's your day showing you?  Are you in the fear mode?  Are you madly applying for jobs, scared to death your unemployment benefits will run out before you land another position?  Or are you allowing yourself to run a bit wild, wandering about, letting your whims carry you through the day and responding to your environment as it tosses little hurdles in your path?  It's up to you.  Give it a try.  Let go and trust that as a feather in the wind, you too will land upon a safe place.  But not before a lovely journey floating through the discoveries locked away, hidden by that once held 'day job.'



No comments: